Everything was going well, my seam allowance was a much more accurate 1/4 inch and then IT happened. What you ask? Well I sewed the strip together wrong. Take a look
Tuesday, September 30, 2008
One of Those Days
It's one of those days. You know the kind I mean. I was taking apart some HSTs from my snowman block. They measured 2 1/8th inch finished instead of 2 inches finished. Take that 1/8th of an inch and multiply it by 6 and suddenly the strip is over 1/2 inch longer than the block it's being joined to. I decided this would be a good opportunity to double check how accurate my 1/4 inch seam allowance is and you know what? I like to sew such a scant 1/4 inch that it's almost an 1/8 inch seam allowance.
Everything was going well, my seam allowance was a much more accurate 1/4 inch and then IT happened. What you ask? Well I sewed the strip together wrong. Take a look
See the HST in the middle of the strip with the green? I sewed that to it's neighbour incorrectly 3 times!!! Then I realized that the right hand side of the strip (where I started) was all wrong. Now when I do something like this I usually throw down the sewing in disgust and walk away fuming at myself. But I was bound and determined to fix it up before I ate my lunch. And boy! my tummy was telling me loud and clear that it was lunchtime. So that's exactly what I did, I fixed it. See?
That's my lesson for today, sew with an accurate 1/4 inch seam allowance (and yes I do use my 1/4 inch foot on my sewing machine) so it saves you headaches and time wasted unsewing (ripping out) mistakes. And maybe don't sew when your tummy is telling you it's lunchtime, LOL Until next time .......
Everything was going well, my seam allowance was a much more accurate 1/4 inch and then IT happened. What you ask? Well I sewed the strip together wrong. Take a look
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
At least it's done now!
You sound like me... when it ain't workin', down it goes, and out of the room I go...for anywhere from 1 to 5 days... but good you persevered and got it right! 8-)
I haven't entered the sewing room today, so you are hours ahead of me! 8-)
LOL, I would have gone and had lunch and then went back to it~ what does that tell you about me?! :-) It looks great! Your persistance paid off beautifully!
Hoooowwwww frustrating. Moral of the story, eat before sewing.
I can relate to that, but it usually the kids are hungry and want lunch (I say "just to a little bit to do, wont be a minute") and then the mistakes start happening. Its looking good.
Been there and done that. Once I've done something wrong twice I go and have a cup of coffee, calm down and then go back and start over again.
love and hugs Gina xxx
LOL Good job! I would have taken it apart and put it in a pile for another day!!
Great job!
Linda
Post a Comment