One of the connector blocks for my snowman quilt is a pair of quarter-square-triangle blocks. I thought a tutorial would be a good idea so I decided to take some pics of each step to show this kewl way of constructing them.
Remember to click on the pics for a closer look at each step. So, let's get started!
First we need 2 squares that are 5 and 1/4 inches in size. Here I have one cream square and one red square. These will yield 2 quarter-square-triangle blocks that are 4 and 1/2 inches unfinished (4 inches finished).

Draw a diagonal line with a pencil on the wrong side of the cream square.

Have the red square facing right side up and then put the cream square right side down (wrong side is up and you should see the diagonal line you just drew) on top of the red square.

Sew a 1/4 inch seam on either side of the drawn pencil line.

Next place a ruler on the drawn pencil line and then .....

With a rotary cutter cut the triangles apart on the drawn pencil line.

Take the triangles to the ironing board and press the seams to set them. Make sure the red triangle is on top and very carefully press the triangles open. Once they are pressed open you'll have 2 squares that now look like this.....

So far so good, right? Place the squares right side together with opposite fabrics touching.

Draw a diagonal line with a pencil on the top square (that's facing down).

Sew a 1/4 inch seam on either side of the drawn pencil line.

Place the ruler on the drawn pencil line and with a rotary cutter cut on the line.

Take the pieces to the ironing board. Set the seam first and then carefully press it open. They should look like this ......

And finally I sewed the 2 blocks together as per the instructions for my snowman quilt.

So that's it, not so bad, eh? If you have any questions or comments please feel free to post them. I'll do my best to help you. I did some more machine buttonhole-stitch on the snowmen, they are coming along nicely. More pics soon of the snowmen, I promise! Until next time .......
5 comments:
Its getting very interesting. You are going great gun with it. Might have to send my UFO over to you to finish????? Well done
Thanks!
Your timing is perfect, I need to make some of this very soon. Can you tell me what size squares to start with for a 2 inch finished square and a 3 inch finished?
I was just going to start big and trim down.
Great tutorial. I have never heard of doing quarter triangles like that before so thank you
Love and hugs Gina xxx
Very neatly done.
Thanks For the Tutorial I am new at quilting And have Trouble cutting out and you have made it look so easy When I finish the stitchery I am doing I am going to try Your Blocks I am Doing the Happy Dance.
Hugs Mary.
Post a Comment