EDIT: Additional info and pics at bottom of post
This afternoon I needed some serious brain power. Don't laugh, Geometry was not my subject in high school. Figures I'd pick a hobby that uses a fair bit of geometry, LOL
I needed some triangles of a certain size that were half dark and half light.
The pattern wanted me to cut smaller triangles of the 2 fabrics and sew them together to make the size needed. The thought of all that bias had me wondering if I would have nightmares tonight!
All that bias is very scary, indeed.
I remembered that I had a CD from Brenda Henning of Bear Paw Productions called Triangulations. 2 pieces of fabric right sides together pinned to a sheet. Sew on the dotted lines and then cut on the solid lines and Voila! Perfect half square or quarter square triangles!
Visit Brenda's website here, there's tons of good stuff to look at.
I took a workshop with Brenda last year at ISQSC in Fargo ND. It was awesome! I made my first ever Mariners Compass block. No kidding. See here for pics and that post.
So, what size triangulations did I need to print out? Good question, I didn't have a clue.
Remember I sucked at Geometry in High School. So I took and deep breath and guessed.
Printed out the sheet, cut some fabric, sewed on the dotted lines and then cut apart the triangles. It was way too big.
So I tried again. And again. After what seemed like the hundredth time I finally got success!
By this point my brain was mush. Really.
That's why the pic is not very good. My brain is mush. Really.
I had to leave my sewing area. Get some air. So DH and I walked the dog just before dinner.
My brain is still mush. It's bedtime now. I hope that my brain is not mush tomorrow. I gotta sew some triangles on paper! Really.
Until next time...
The pattern wanted me to cut smaller triangles of the 2 fabrics and sew them together to make the size needed. The thought of all that bias had me wondering if I would have nightmares tonight!
All that bias is very scary, indeed.
I remembered that I had a CD from Brenda Henning of Bear Paw Productions called Triangulations. 2 pieces of fabric right sides together pinned to a sheet. Sew on the dotted lines and then cut on the solid lines and Voila! Perfect half square or quarter square triangles!
Visit Brenda's website here, there's tons of good stuff to look at.
I took a workshop with Brenda last year at ISQSC in Fargo ND. It was awesome! I made my first ever Mariners Compass block. No kidding. See here for pics and that post.
So, what size triangulations did I need to print out? Good question, I didn't have a clue.
Printed out the sheet, cut some fabric, sewed on the dotted lines and then cut apart the triangles. It was way too big.
So I tried again. And again. After what seemed like the hundredth time I finally got success!
By this point my brain was mush. Really.
That's why the pic is not very good. My brain is mush. Really.
I had to leave my sewing area. Get some air. So DH and I walked the dog just before dinner.
My brain is still mush. It's bedtime now. I hope that my brain is not mush tomorrow. I gotta sew some triangles on paper! Really.
Until next time...
After reading some of the comments this morning I decided to post some pics of exactly what I needed to achieve. Here is a square block that I cut from a strip set I made.
These are the kind of triangles I needed to make.
In the lower left corner I put a paper template of the size these triangles have to be.
Remember the author of the pattern wanted me to cut 2 smaller triangles and put them together to make this sized triangle. I wanted to do it differently to avoid all those bias edges.
Here's a pic of the fabric triangles in opposite corners; lower left corner and upper right corner.
This is what the block is supposed to look like!
After consultation with my friends at one of our Wednesday night quilt get-togethers we concluded that making half square triangles (then cutting them in half) would not work because half of the new triangles would have the dark fabric on the left side and the other half would have dark fabric on the right side. Plus there was the issue of how big this triangle would have to be to fit the paper template. So this is how I figured it out. It turned my brain to mush yesterday but it was a learning experience. If you have any other suggestions I'm all ears. I'm always ready to learn something new. Thanks to those commenters who made suggestions. I appreciate all of you who tried to help. Until next time...
Here's a pic of the fabric triangles in opposite corners; lower left corner and upper right corner.
After consultation with my friends at one of our Wednesday night quilt get-togethers we concluded that making half square triangles (then cutting them in half) would not work because half of the new triangles would have the dark fabric on the left side and the other half would have dark fabric on the right side. Plus there was the issue of how big this triangle would have to be to fit the paper template. So this is how I figured it out. It turned my brain to mush yesterday but it was a learning experience. If you have any other suggestions I'm all ears. I'm always ready to learn something new. Thanks to those commenters who made suggestions. I appreciate all of you who tried to help. Until next time...
12 comments:
This is exactly why I have my in-house tame scientist. You are welcome to borrow him any time ;-)
Hi, your Mariners Compass block's are beutiful, and they are fun to make :o) Have a nice day!
was always taught that you add 7/8th of an inch to the finiashed size.
For example a finished square of 3" would mean that you cut squares of 3 and 7/8th . You mark down the diagonal of the square and sew 1/4" either side of the line and you should end up with a 3 1/2" square ( 3" finished).
If that doesn't make sense just yell and I'll try and explain it better.
Love and hugs Gina xxx
Everyone gets mush brain from time to time. Math does it to me too. I hope it's back to normal today.
Oooh, I am going to try this. Looks interesting. I always do triangles the simple way: 2 squares right sides togeter, diagonal line, sew at both sides, so this looks very intersting indeed. Let you know if my brain gets mush too;-)
OMGosh I almost felt my brain turning to mush just reading your post ROFL. I hope it solidified while you were sleeping :0) Keep us posted on how you got this to work.
Crispy
I don't blame you about not wanting to deal with all those bias edges!
I generally just make half square triangles but without using the paper. You need to cut your squares 1" larger than your finished square needs to be. Then you sew similar to the paper method.
Here is a good link..
http://quilting.about.com/od/quickpiecingtechniques/ss/halfsquaretria.htm
...and if you are a visual person here is a video (I haven't watch it though)...
http://www.sutree.com/howto.aspx?from=rss&s=37018
There's more videos on youtube too.
Good luck!
oh my god - my brain has gone to mush just reading about what you have to do!!! i wish you lots of luck!
xxx
Speaking of geometry, please take a look over at my thriftin blog. There is a special book there, just for you ;-)
Jocelyn
http://justalittlesouthernhospitality.blogspot.com/
Ah! trial and error with the math! After highschool i was convinced that I would never ever have anything to do with Pythagoras and his friends ever again.The whole math thing vanished from my brain; trial and error works too, although it's slow.
Hope your brain will recover eventually!
**grin** Sometimes there is no easier way. ;-) Your project is going to be cool!
oooh very funky blocks!!! me likey!
Quiltingly Yours
Andrea
Post a Comment