Friday, May 8, 2009

May Finish for Mother's Day

Last year when I started my blog I talked about some gifts I've made for my mum over the years for Mother's Day. I also posted some pics of the projects. Here's another one to add to the list, her gift for Mother's Day this year, which is on Sunday May 10th.My mum studied Interior Design at the University of Manitoba in the mid 1940's. Her taste in furniture/decor leans toward clean lines with an Asian flair. That's my inspiration for this year's gift The quilt (14 inches square) is from a book called "Circles of the East" by Japanese quilter Kumiko Sudo. This book is full of quilts designs from ancient Japanese family crests. Each crest has a name and a write-up about it's history. The book is full of wonderful photos and fascinating stories. If you ever come across this book you MUST have a look through it. The book was published in 1997 by The Quilt Digest Press. Until next time...

6 comments:

Myra said...

Awesome Katherine! Love it! 8-)

Brenda said...

I think your mother is going to love this gift!!!
I have friends who love asian fabrics and design. I am going to have to tell them about this book - thanks!!

Pat said...

That appears to be a great choice for a quilt for your mom...and made by YOU makes it extra-special for her, I'm sure!

Wonky Phyl said...

Love your little quilt.A couple of years ago I took a quilt class based on Japanese family crests and found it a very interesting subject.Was always going to make more use of what I learned but of course haven't.This really jogs my memory.

Micki said...

Your mother is going to love this quilt. It is wonderful!
Micki

Joyce said...

It's beautiful. I think I may have to have a look at that book or maybe even buy it. Esp since my DIL is Japanese and we have visited Japan several times. Their design is just amazing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails