I thought I'd take a moment to share with you one of the first quilts I ever made; a king-sized log cabin, in 1995. The blocks were pieced by hand ( I didn't own a sewing machine yet) but when it came time to sew the rows together I was able to do it by machine (yay! I had finally got a sewing machine). A long arm quilter quilted it for me with an all over puzzle piece pantograph in navy blue thread.

We use it in the winter time on our bed as an extra layer (necessary when it's -30 C out and the wind chill brings it to -40 C/F like it has been lately). I am sentimental about this quilt but it's interesting for me to look at it now and what changes I would make if I were to make it today. I've learned a lot about colour, value and it's placement in a quilt over the years. It's fun to look back!
I almost have a second quilt finished for Finn's NYE challenge, it's a Christmas gift so I better get going on that and finish the embroidery and binding on it.
Until next time .......
7 comments:
That looks great for a first quilt and also had stitched. Well done. Would you hand stitch another?????
I haven't been quilting that long, only about 5 years but when I look at my first quilts I see so many technical mistakes. I learn something new on each quilt and lots and lots from bloggers.
Awesome quilt K!!! Never seen that one yet! I love the pattern it makes with the layout of those blocks! Very kewl! 8-)
I look forward to see the one you are almost done for Finn's NYE Challenge!! Woohoo! 8-)
You going to the club tomorrow night?
Happy stitchings!
Great quilt.
My first quilt was a sampler for Gemma. She loves it but I think I would change just about everything about it if I did it again.
Love and hugs Gina xxx
Looks great! Its nice to be able to see the progression of a quilter from the first project to now.
beautiful quilt!!
I am doing a Grandmother's Garden quilt now all by hand. I have a couple sewing machines, but I wanted to give myself the challenge. I am in no hurry to finish it, but I like to take it up every now and then when I don't feel like hauling out the machine, but wish to do something that doesn't take much brain work but lots of whipstitching!!! :)
Love this quilt QGB great job...and it was your first quilt that is amazing..
Post a Comment