I woke up today feeling better, the aches are more or less gone and that awful feverish feeling of shivering and then getting all hot and clammy is gone. Tonight is our weekly quilting get-together but I think I'll stay home. Don't want to pass along germs to anyone else!
Over the past week I got these in the mail.
I also read this...
I adore the Elm Creek Quilts series by Jennifer Chiaverini, a lot.And of course having some of this helped too,
So now on to the Huh? part of my post. I was reading instructions on how to make some pincushions. I'm supposed to stuff the pincushion with crushed walnut shells before sewing the opening closed. Huh? What on earth are crushed walnut shells and where do I buy them? I thought it was my fever playing tricks on me what I was reading but nope, I checked today and the instructions still call for stuffing the pincushion with this mystery stuff. I must confess I've never made a pin cushion before but really, how hard could it be? I thought easy-peasy until I read about these crushed walnut shells. Today my friend Myra reminded me that we were discussing this recently and we are both befuddled. Myra wants some too. So please, could someone enlighten us? Until next time...
20 comments:
I love reading your post. You are too funny! I can't say that I have heard of cushed walnut sheels in pincushions, but I would imagine that it would work well.
I am happy that you are feeling better, and thank heavens for the good mail days!
Crushing walnut shells sounds hard on the feet. Maybe try sheep's wool instead. Apparently the lanolin lubricates the pins and makes them easier to use. I just use scraps of batting.
Oh . . . I know I read about this somewhere!!! I can't remember where though - but I think they said something about having to go to a pet store? Keep us posted as to where you find them. - Marlene
I'm so happy you are feeling better and it is probably a good idea to stay home, but I sure miss the quilting group stuff when I can't attend.
Crushed walnut shells can be purchased at your local pet store, however, they only come in BIG bags, really BIG bags. You can also use Emery Sand which can be purchased at a craft store, that comes in little bags.
Crispy
Get them at the pet store in the bird aisle much cheaper then at the craft store. I fill my pincushions with them, though you can also get them at the hardware store where the sand blasting stuff is. It makes a good stuffing!
I had no idea about them either! Although recently (I wish I could remember where) I read on a blog that you can get them in the petstore!!!
If you're from a small town like me the petstore isn't close...
I hear that dried rice is just as effective and so are plastic beans/pellets....
I'm sure you can figure something out lol... either that or you're buying a lot of walnuts to crack out of their shells lol!
I'm glad to hear you are getting better. And if I lived closer to you, I would have come over to help you eat that soup! It looks GOOOOOD! LOL! Ok, on to the crushed walnut shells. It's used for bird litter - go figure. I looked for it and you can get some on amazon.com, I'm trying to make some cusions myself but I'll be using the polyfil/left over batting scraps. I hope that helps. Get better!
I haven't tried it but know that you buy the crushed walnut shells in a good size bag at Pet Stores...like Petco, Pet Smart...lizard section. It is like a fine sand. I didn't buy a bag because it was a good size and I wanted to just "sample try" it first. Many swear by it!
I've read those instructions too. I guess everyone is saying go to the pet store. We don't have any pets, so it is not one of my haunts :-)
Well K, I think we are going to check out the pet stores and possibly split a bag if they are in big quantities... Probably much cheaper than buying online... and if our pet stores here don't have it, I shall get some next time I am in the States...
Glad to hear you are feeling better. That soup looks yummy!!!
Sew glad you're feeling better and used your time very wisely!
I don't need to answer the "Huh", part since all the other gals did!
Hang in there and ease back into Life!
My security is "boturd" is that like for Botox for the...well, never mind! LOL
Hi there, Katherine! I'm sorry to hear you've been sick, but glad you're feeling a bit better. You can get crushed walnut shells at a pet store (I think they're for birds)! Anyway, I made my first Tuffet and stuffed it with these -- and I love it. It gives the pin cushion more weight, so it doesn't slide around all over the place like the cottong stuffed ones. Plus, it's supposed to keep your pins sharp. One other tip Carrie Nelson had in her "Tuffets" pattern was to put a small piece of cotton batting over the walnut shells before you stitch closed -- this way they don't fall out! Hope this helps, and that you're back to sewing soon!
Looks like you have lots of reading material to keep you busy while you get better. I've never used the walnut shells, I hear the are good.
The walnut shells also act as a sharpening agent for the tips of your pins.
I'm so glad you're feeling better! I think the magazines alone would make you feel a LOT better, lol. I love Jennifer's books too - that's a good one.
Crushed walnut shells are sold at pet stores here in the States. I also use florist's sand, keeps the needles sharp. That you can usually get at craft stores. You usually want to make a casing to hold it though, as it can seep through.
You can cedar chips at a pet store. As a thank you for my first order from an online fabric store, the lady proprietor sent me a handmade pincushion with cedar chips inside. She said the folks at the pet store must think she has lots of pets. Other than for crafts, people use cedar chips in hamster cages or cat litter boxes to help absorb odors. Hope that helps. If you are into eating walnuts and you crack them yourself or know someone who does you could grab the walnuts from there, but they can be very dusty.
Glad that you are feeling better and you are getting back to normal. Looks like you got some good reading done!
Micki
Glad to hear you are feeling better. Crushed walnut shells are fabulous for pin cushions. You can buy them at some quilt shops but they will be expensive there. The pet store in the reptile section is the best place to get them. You won't be sorry.
I'm so glad to read you are feeling better! :-) Yup, the lizard section of the pet shop. They are crushed really fine. We also used them for our tarantula but gave him away when we moved.
Just read the first two Elm Creek books. They a fun read. Have to keep going. Great magazines.
Post a Comment