Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Friendship Star

I was going to make a friendship star block that's one of my connector blocks for my Snowman quilt and I decided to takes pics of each step to show you. So here's an informal tutorial on how to make a 6 inch finished size (6.5 inches unfinished) Friendship Star block.

Today I'm using 2 colours, dark blue and gold. For one block you need to cut as follows:

From the gold fabric cut 1 square that measures 2.5 inches square as well as 2 squares that measure 2 7/8ths square. I cut these particular squares 3 inches and I end up trimming a bit more once I'm done, I just find it easier. Do whatever way is easier for you :^)From the dark blue fabric cut 4 squares that are 2.5 inches square and 2 squares that are 2 7/8ths square (or cut them 3 inches like I do)With a pencil and ruler draw a diagonal line on the wrong side of each (the 2) gold 2 7/8ths inch square. Put the 2 dark blue 2 7/8ths inch squares right side up and then put the 2 gold 2 7/8ths inch squares on top of them. The pencil lines you have drawn will be facing up. Very carefully sew 1/4 inch on one side of the line you've drawn. Continue and sew a 1/4 inch down the other side of the drawn pencil line. The 2 blocks should now look like this pic. Next take your ruler and place it on the pencil line and with your rotary cutter cut the 2 halves appart on that pencil line. The 2 blocks should look like this...... Go to your iron and ironing board and put these 4 pieces dark blue on top (the wrong side up). Press the seam to set it and then very carefully press it open with the seam allowance going to the dark half (the dark blue) of the square. If you need to square up the squares ensuring the 45 degree angle line is on the diagonal seam/line of the square. These squares now measure 2.5 inches. So far so good, right?
So let's review what we have done so far......we now have 4 HSTs (half square triangles) and 1 gold 2.5 inch square and 4 dark blue 2.5 inch squares. Next arrange the squares into their rows. Make sure the HSTs are positioned the correct way.Here's a look at the top row...Here's a look at the middle row...And here's a look at the bottom row.... The next step is to sew the squares together to make rows. For each row, first sew the square on the left to the middle sqaure. Press to set the seams first and then press the seam allowances toward the solid square(s) in the row. Add the last square (the one on the right) to the others. Press the set the seams first and then press the seam allowances towards the solid square(s). The final step is to join the rows together. Press well and square it up, if necessary, to be 6.5 inches square. Hooray! We did it! I hope it all makes sense. I apologize for the strange pics, my camera batteries were dying. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask and I'll try my best to answer them.

Today is election day in Canada. We are voting for Prime Minister and MPs (Members of Parliament). So I voted when I picked up the kids from school today. The polling station was at their school. I say if you don't vote don't complain about who gets elected!
Until next time .......

3 comments:

Julie said...

Well done on the little tutorial. Love these stars, they are so easy when you know how. I have been to busy to touch the computer so hope to get time to blog and catch up today.

Myra said...

Great little informal (as you put it) tutorial Kh! 8-)
We had a small group at out Country Rose quilt night... 8-(
Hopefully a good number of gals will show up at CW Wednesday night!!

wonderwoman said...

wow, that is a great tutorial, especially as i have just signed up to make some of these blocks - thanks!!! love your blog , such gorgeous things.

x

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails